Serengeti National Park Tour
Serengeti National Park Tour is quite a fascinating encounter as a traveler gets a chance to see the big 5 game coupled with a lot of wildlife. Serengeti national park is located in the northern part of Tanzania. Animal tours are among the tourist activities which are carried out in this national park.
This national park attracts a large number of tourists due to the high concentration of wildlife species which can be seen by tourists during their animal tours in Serengeti National Park.
Activities which tourists engage in during a Serengeti national park tour include the following;
- Nature walks involve exploring the national park on foot in the company of a ranger guide. These nature walks involve moving along different trails and watching the wildlife species and seeing other attractions within the national park. These walks provide a closer interaction with the surroundings such as tree and plant species.
- Hot air balloons offer an aerial view of the rest of the national park and its different attractions such as wildlife species. The hot air balloons carry different capacities of tourists to see the wildlife species roaming and grazing in the open savannah plains such as wildebeest, gazelles, elephants, zebras, waterbucks, lions, leopards among others.
- Game drives involve tourists exploring the wilderness of the national park by car. These game drives take place at different times of the day and they include morning game drives, evening game drives, and full-day game drives. Morning game drives are very rewarding to the tourists since they see a variety of wildlife species that are more active at this time of day. Full day game drives give tourists a chance to explore the national park at different times of the day and to observe the behavior of the wildlife species.
A variety of wildlife species can be seen in Serengeti national park as tourists explore the national park. This national park is known for having a variety of wildlife species that can be seen in big numbers.
Some of the wildlife species which tourists can see during their safaris in Serengeti national park include the big five such as elephants, lions, leopards, buffalos, and rhinos. Other wildlife species which can be seen in this national park include herds of wildebeest, giraffes, hippos, zebras, cheetahs, hyenas, gazelles, jackals among others.
Rules and regulations of wildlife viewing on a Serengeti National Park tour
Different rules and regulations are put in place to ensure the safety of both the wildlife species and the tourists as well as the habitat or surroundings of the wildlife species and they include the following;
- Give way to the wildlife during drives in the national park since wildlife species have a right of way in their natural habitat.
- Avoid feeding the animals. This is because feeding the animals disrupts their natural ability to find food and they may lose fear for humans. Feeding the animals may also result into fines and also prosecution.
- People visiting Serengeti national park for animal tours are encouraged to move along authorized tracks. People who drive off the track during their animal tours may be fined or prosecuted.
- Do not remove anything from the national park such as the plant and removal of any natural items from the park is strictly forbidden and may result in fines.
- People who are engaging in animal tours and prefer to go camping are encouraged to camp in designated camping areas.
- Tourists are also discouraged from making noise such as loud music and imitating animal sounds during their animal tours in order to avoid disturbing the wildlife.
- Hooting and throwing items at animals during safaris in Serengeti national park is also prohibited.
- Picnics in Serengeti national park during animal tours is only allowed in designated picnic areas.
- Littering is also prohibited in the national park during animal tours.
- Irresponsible disposal of cigarettes in the national park is also prohibited in order to avoid wildfires.
- Avoid overcrowding around a wildlife sighting during animal tours as this can scare away the wildlife and disrupt their behavior in their habitat.
During animal tours in this national park, there are different sectors which can be explored by the tourists and a variety of wildlife species are commonly seen in the different parts of Serengeti national park which include;
How to get to Serengeti national park
Tourists can access Serengeti national park to participate in animal tours using different means of transport depending on their preferences on how to get to the national park. The means of transport used by tourists visiting this national park include the following;
- By Road, tourists can access Serengeti national park by driving from Arusha town.
- By Air or flight, Serengeti national park can be accessed by flying to any of the airstrips within the national park such as Seronera airstrip, kogatende airstrip, Lobo airstrip among others. Both domestic and charter flights are available for tourists flying to this national park.
Other activities in Serengeti national park which tourists can engage in besides animal tours include the following;
- Cultural visits involve interactions between the local community and the tourists as they visit the Maasai villages. During these cultural visits, tourists experience the way of life of the Maasai and learn different aspects about their culture such as traditional way of dressing, traditional houses known as “manyattas”, nomadic way of life of the Maasai, local arts and crafts such as beaded jewelry like necklaces, bracelets, bangles, earrings among others. tourists can also watch cultural dance performances and listen to Maasai folk stories during their safaris.
- Bird watching in Serengeti national park involves searching for the different bird species in their natural habitat. Bird species which can be seen in this national park include both native and migrant bird species such as plovers, secretary birds, kori bustards, fisher’s lovebird, grey breasted spurfowl, black-headed gonolek, sterlings, vultures, ostriches, eagles, hornbills, shrikes among others.
Attractions in Serengeti national park which can be seen by tourists during their animal tours include the following;
- Seronera river valley is an attraction found in the central part of Serengeti national park. There is a high concentration of wildlife species which can be seen in this part of the national park such as lions, elephants, leopards, cheetahs, hippos, giraffes, crocodiles, buffalos, impalas among others. This valley is characterized by open savannah plains and kopjes.
- Kopjes are granite rock outcrops that are found in Serengeti national park. These kopjes act as look out points for the lions and other predators as they watch their prey grazing and roaming the plains of the national park. The kopjes include Moru kopjes, Maasai kopjes, Simba kopjes among others.
- Retina hippo pool is an attraction found in Serengeti national park where a large number of hippos can be seen swimming in a pool of water. This pool is found where the orange river meets the Seronera River.
- Maasai people are a nomadic group of people who make up the local community around the Serengeti national park. Tourists visit the Maasai villages to engage in a number of activities such as visiting the traditional houses of the Maasai known as “manyattas”, watching traditional dance performances, seeing local arts and crafts like beaded necklaces, earrings, bracelets made in different patterns and colors.
There are also a number of accommodation facilities for tourists to stay during their Serengeti national park tour and they are categorized into luxury accommodations, mid-range accommodations, and budget accommodations.
Another accommodation option for tourists engaging in animal tours in Serengeti national park includes camping where both public campsites and private campsites are available within the national park. These campsites offer different facilities to the tourists during their safaris to ensure that the tourists have a comfortable, safe and memorable safari to this national park.
Visit Serengeti national park and experience wildlife viewing opportunities in different parts of this national park as you explore it’s wilderness and open savannah plains.