Welcome To Serengeti National Park Tanzania
Before the local communities where resettled in different areas of Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara and Karatu regions all the four Northern parks formed the park/ Serengeti national park Tanzania. Safari in Tanzania without visiting Serengeti is incomplete trip missing much experience on your trip to Tanzania. The Serengeti national park is not only famous of the great wildebeest migration but also host a wide range of different flora and fauna that forms the Serengeti ecosystem.
Historically Serengeti had no Elephants till of recent that Elephants come to the park from Neighboring reserves due to population increase and destruction of the animal habitat hence ending up to Serengeti National park as they were looking for refuge, the population of of Serengeti national park can only be experienced on a Serengeti safaris or simply Serengeti tours.
The last seen wild dogs in Serengeti was in 1991 till now the wild dogs are extinct in Serengeti. The park has over one million wildebeest, thousands of Zebras more than 10 species of Antelopes and over 500 species of birds not forgetting two species of primates those are Olive Baboons and black faced monkeys.
Found on the Northern part of Tanzania 7 hours’ drive away from Tourist town Arusha along the well Tarmac good road that runs crossing different towns like Karatu and others. Our drive continues passing through scenic view of the Great Rift valley in Lake Manyara national park popularly known for the tree climbing lions, watching baboons matching alone the road termed as “School boys going to school”.
The drive is much worth driving it as you see high cliffs of the results of Volcanicity, stop at viewing point of Lake Manyara at high cliff take enough aerial pictures of the park. After reaching Karatu we will enter to the Ngorongoro crater where we get our clearance as we pay transit fees to pass through this unique beautiful park.
Our second stop is at Ngorongoro crater view point where we have the best aerial view of the crater with your good camera and binoculars you see animals down the crater which rises to 600meters deep. It’s very scenic as the forests cover the area with cold fresh air at this point, free wife thanks to the management of Ngorongoro Conservation Area Authorities who makes it possible for our dear guests to share live videos at this point especially social media.
Sections Of Serengeti
The Sections of serengeti are three. The popular southern / central part (Seronera Valley), is what the Maasai called the “serengit”, the land of endless plains. It’s classic Savannah, dotted with acacias and filled with wildlife. The western corridor is marked by the Grumeti River and has more forests and dense bush. The north, Lobo area, meets up with Kenya’s Masai Mara Reserve, is the least visited section. Two World Heritage Sites and two Biosphere Reserves have been established within the 30,000 km² region. It’s unique ecosystem has inspired writers from Ernest Hemingway to Peter Mattheissen, filmakers like Hugo von Lawick and Alan Root as well as numerous photographers and scientists – many of which have put their works at our disposal to create this website.
Ecosystem in Serengeti Park
The Serengeti ecosystem is one of the oldest on earth. The essential features of climate, vegetation and fauna have barely changed in the past million years. Early man himself made an appearance in Olduvai Gorge about two million years ago. Some patterns of life, death, adaptation and migration are as old as the hills themselves. It is the migration for which Serengeti is perhaps most famous. Over a million wildebeest and about 200,000 zebras flow south from the northern hills to the southern plains for the short rains every October and November, and then swirl west and north after the long rains in April, May and June. So strong is the ancient instinct to move that no drought, gorge or crocodile infested river can hold them back. The Wildebeest travel through a variety of parks, reserves and protected areas and through a variety of habitat. Join us to explore the different forms of vegetation and landscapes of the Serengeti ecosystem and meet some of their most fascinating inhabitants.
Discover Serengeti National Park
Attractions in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti National Park is blessed with a vast variety of attractions that see a number of travelers visiting the national park throughout the year. Some of the major attractions in the Serengeti National Park include:
The wildlife, Bird Species, Wildebeest Migration, Maasai People & Their Culture, Olduvai Gorge, Moru Kopjes, Retina Hippo Pool, Grumeti River and Seronera River Valley.
The wildebeest migration which takes place also in Serengeti national park/Serengeti Tanzania park has been described as one of the natural wonders and tourists from all over the worlds go for tours to enjoy seeing as these wildebeests graze around the savannah plains.
During the great wildebeest migration in the park, the herds of wildebeests move across the western plains of the national park and they cross the Grumeti river around July to August.
The wildebeests also move across the Lobo area in Serengeti national park during the great wildebeest migration as they search for greener pastures. Other wildlife species like zebras and gazelles accompany the wildebeests during the migration and predators like lions, leopards and cheetahs can also be spotted during a safari in this national park.
The calving season during the wildebeest migration takes place in the months of January to early March. About 8000 wildebeests are born daily during the calving season which is one of the highlights of the wildebeest migration.
In April and May, the wildebeests can be seen in the western part of Serengeti national park. Around August to September, the wildebeests cross to the Masai Mara national reserve via the Mara river where some of the wildebeests don’t make it across the river. Crocodiles also feast on the wildebeests as well as predators attack the wildebeests during the migration.
The movement of the wildebeests depends on factors such as season in that at different times of the year, the wildebeests follow different trails in search of greener pastures.
Serengeti national park and Masai Mara national reserve in Kenya are the locations which tourists can visit during their safaris for not only the wildebeest migration but also for wildlife viewing adventures since both destinations have a variety of wildlife species which can be spotted during Serengeti tours.
Some of the lodges located near the Mara and Grumeti rivers provide a good viewing point to witness the wildebeest migration during safaris. Another way to enjoy seeing the wildebeests spread cross the savannah plains during a safari is during a game drive in Serengeti national park.
Park Entrance fees
The Park is under the management of the Tanzania National Park Authority. The Authority is the one in charge of collecting all the park dues like Entry fees, conservation fees and concession fees.
All the Serengeti park entrance fees are valid for 24 hours if one stays inside the park and valid for the time one is inside the park as soon as you check out of the gate the park entry fees are invalid hence on return you pay for more hence if one is staying from outside the park you pay park entry fees every time you want to enter to the park.
Permit for entry for each person to Serengeti National Park
Foreigners above 16 years of age $60 per person
Foreign Residents and expatriates above 16 years of age $30
East African citizen Above 16years of age 10000 tsh
Children between 5 -15 years of age = 20usds ( non East Africans)
Foreign children residents = 5-15 years = 10usds
Children East African 5-15 years = 2000tzh
Children below the age of 5 years: free
This cost excludes 18% taxes
Tour Activities in Serengeti National Park
Activities which tourists can engage in during their safaris in Serengeti national park include the following;
Hot air balloon rides are a unique way to enjoy seeing the different attractions around Serengeti national park during a safari. This activity can be carried out in the morning after briefing before proceeding to engage in the hot air balloon activity during which you will enjoy beautiful views of the national park and also see different wildlife species such as elephants, giraffes, rhinos, lions among others.
Game drives in Serengeti national park / Serengeti safari drives are also carried out during a safari in the national park. Game drives in Serengeti National Park can be carried out in the morning, afternoon, evening or for a full day. This activity is popular among tourists and visitors to Serengeti national park as they enjoy driving around the endless savannah plains in search of the different wildlife species.
Bird watching is another safari activity in Serengeti / Serengeti safari activity which tourists engage in during their safaris in Serengeti national park. There are over 500 bird species in this national park and they include ostriches, secretary birds, grey crowned cranes, starlings, herons, yellow billed storks, pelicans, hornbills, lesser flamingos, vultures, Kori bustard among others.
Cultural experiences with the Maasai people are also among the safari experiences during a visit to Serengeti national park.
Best Time to visit Serengeti national park
The best time to visit Serengeti National Park is from late June to October or during the Dry Season because the seasons vary. Many travelers come to Serengeti National Park to catch the view of the great wildebeest migration and the best time to do this trip is during June to July.
Winter is the best time to see the herd in Southern Serengeti, While the Western Corridor and Northern Serengeti are the best places to spend the summer and autumn months.
April and May are the rainy season months registering the highest rainfall, and many lodges and camps close for this slower season.
Other Attractions in Serengeti National park.
The big 5 are much sort after during safaris to Serengeti national park and they include elephants, rhinos, lions, leopards and buffalos. These wildlife species as well as many other wildlife species attract tourists to engage in safaris to Serengeti national park. Different tour operators offer safari packages for wildlife viewing in Serengeti national park including game drives at different times of day.
The Grumeti river is a river crossing point during the wildebeest migration. It is part of the Grumeti reserve in the north western part of Serengeti national park which is a migration corridor during the wildebeest migration.
Seronera valley is another attraction in the park which can be seen during Serengeti National Park safaris as tourists explore the destination. It is located in the central part of Serengeti national park which is a popular part of the national park which is visited during safaris or wildlife viewing experiences.
The big 5 can also be seen during a safari in the Seronera valley and tourists can also enjoy watching as predators hunt during their game drives in this part of Serengeti national park.
The Seronera area is made up of savannah plains, a broad valley, river meanders, grasslands and swamps. There are also rock outcrops or kopjes which can be seen in the Seronera area.
Apart from the many predators like lions, leopards, hyenas, cheetahs, jackals in Seronera valley there are other wildlife species which can be seen during a safari at this destination and they include waterbucks, hartebeests, dik dik, hippos, impalas, warthogs among others.
Retina hippo pool
A visit to the retina hippo pool of Serengeti national park is rewarded with seeing big numbers of hippos in a pool. There are approximately 200 hippos which can be seen at the retina hippo pool.
Birds such as crowned cranes, egrets, herons, kingfishers among others can also be seen around the retina hippo pool.
The moru Kopjes scattered around the Serengeti are a perfect place to catch the black rhinos. These protruding rocks around the park offer shade and disguise for the many animals and predators.
Apart from the amazing wildlife of the park, tourists can also get an experience with the Maasai people who are famous for their unique culture and nomadic way of life.
The Maasai keep livestock such as cows, goats and sheep which they depend on. They also make local arts and crafts such as beaded necklaces, earrings, anklets which are made by the Maasai people.
The Maasai also have unique homesteads known as “manyattas” made using local materials such as dung. During a community or cultural visit to the Maasai villages, tourists get to see these homesteads and also know more about the culture and traditions of the Maasai.
Visit Serengeti national park and enjoy a safari filled with amazing wildlife viewing and beautiful endless savannah plains as you explore the oldest national park in Tanzania.
Before one gets to travel to Serengeti for Serengeti safaris, they ought to book a trip/Safari package. These safari packages are offered by different tour operators and once you have been confirmed for the trip be sure that you will have a proper organized tour of Serengeti National Park Tanzania.
Recommended number of days in Serengeti National park
The park has a wide range of activities to be done from Game viewing, game drives, Balloon safaris, Birding, Wildebeest migration viewing among others. This gives enough time for someone to fully explore Serengeti national park then 5-7 days are recommended and birders take from 7 to 10 days.
Photographers need even more days as the scenic view of the park has much to offer, recording the songs of the loving birds, culture and many more.
As mentioned, tour operators are companies that help you secure your trip to Serengeti Park Tanzania and all details of the activities you will be involved in, time of travel, what lunch you will be provided, when you will visit the national park and finally where you will be able to sleep after the long days tours. Be sure to book with a registered company so as to avoid crooks.
For a traveler that has visited Serengeti Park, you will find the trip exhausting and you will be referred to an accommodation facility where they will spend their nights and rest. The Park offers a number of accommodation facilities ranging from budget to luxury suits. Camping tents are available and with the right tour operator you will be given the accommodation facility that you desire.
Accommodation in Serengeti National Park (lodges in Serengeti national park) is very amazing and fascinating in that even the cheapest lodges and hotels offer exceptional services.
Budget Accommodation in Serengeti National Park
- Serengeti Simba – It is among the Simba properties which are a 4-star lodge in Serengeti national park with an outdoor pool and restaurant.
- Serengeti Kati Kati Tented Camp – It is a mobile camp found in Serengeti and it is one of the Tanganyika Wilderness Camps, its location can be central Serengeti, Makoma 5 or Kimarinshe. It offers comfortable accommodations with the opportunity to enjoy the real Serengeti National Park safari experience in Serengeti plains such as the animals and the vegetations including the tent life.
- Grumeti Migration Camp – it is located in the North of Serengeti National Park within the Grumeti Wildlife Reserve. It consists of individual tented suites ten, along with separate dining, lounge and a bar area.
- Ikoma Tented Camp – It is a 3-star hotel with free breakfast and restaurant. It is located in the Robanda, the distance from the Serengeti visitors center to the camp is about 8 miles. It has a bar and a garden.
- Lobo Wildlife Lodge – it is located in the North Serengeti National Park where vast species are found and it enhances migration view from the comfort of a sun lounger. It is set on the migratory route of over one million wildebeest in their desperate struggle of survival. It is the first lodge on the way from Kenya to Tanzania, it is about 28kms from Maasai Mara National Reserve.
Luxury Accommodation in Serengeti National Park
- Four Seasons Safari Lodge – It is located in the central area of Serengeti National Park in the Seronera region. It offers game viewing throughout the year, Seronera region is famous for its fantastic wildlife throughout the year, it stands slightly above the game-field plains with wooden walkways that connect the lounge, restaurants, reception area, pool, and spa. It also has the man-made waterhole where it attracts wild animals hence pave the way to sit back and watch animals from the infinity. It has rooms of different types such as terrace suite, waterhole view.
- Roving Bushtop Camp – the camp is located in the central of Serengeti in the Seronera valley, the location provides exceptional year-round game viewing for our guest, its a mobile camp that moves seasonally in order to server the guest on viewing our attractive and ensure guest to get high chances of seeing the migration birthing season after which the camp moves back to sport of central Serengeti. the camps easy to access and enjoy viewing wildlife and the bush, also the camp can reach via air flight to Seronera airstrip.
- Lemala Nanyukie Tented Lodge – it is located in the Eastern Serengeti about 15miles from Seronera Airstrip and 45minutes drive, Guests from Lemala Nanyukie can expect a light contemporary décor. In Eastern Serengeti National Park guests will also have a great chance of seeing wildebeest migration. It offers luxury services.
- Siringit Serengeti Camp – it is located 6kms East of Seronera airstrip and it is a one-hour drive from Nabi Hill gate for the guests arriving by road from the Ngorongoro National Park. It has about eight exclusive canvas tents designed to offer guests a high glamping experience.
- Singita Mara Camp – It is an eco-lodge that operates entirely off the grid and it is naturally built with natural materials and recycled materials, it seeks to eliminate unnecessary use of energy while helping guests to meet authentic connection with nature. The way that tents are positioned helps guests to have access to wild animals.
- Sayari Camp – It is a luxury camp located in the far north of Serengeti National Park, it is surrounded by a bush which is the home to many wilds and Mara river which crosses the region from east to west, the area is also famous for wildebeest migration in the right time of the year where wildebeest are expected to be on this region. It offers personalized services and great food.
Mid Range Accommodation in Serengeti National Park
- Kubu Kubu Tented Lodge – Is the lodge among the properties of Tanganyika Wilderness Camps(TWC), it is located in the area which allow visitors or tourists to easily access different attractions in Serengeti such as Olduvai George Museum, Seronera river and Grumeti River which allow game drive throughout the year due to water availability and Maasai Kopjes. It also gives visitors the chance to attend great migration while in their tents comfortably. It has 25 rooms where 13 are double rooms, 2 quadruple rooms, and 5 family units with 2 interconnected bedrooms. The lodge is also accessible by flight and transfer where visitors may fly from Arusha or any other airstrip to Seronera airstrip and then transferred to the lodged by the company car that they are booked with.
- Melia Serengeti Lodge – It is located at Nyamuma hills which is about 36 kilometers from Seronera Airstrip, it is also near Mbalageti River valley. It offers restaurants with traditional recipe and international; cuisine which sometimes fused together in a spectacular setting, it has a spa and a 24hrs front desk. The lodge also has a swimming pool, free WIFI, safety box, coffee and tea facilities, and a mini-bar.
- Serengeti Serena Lodge – This is one of the Serena Hotels located in Serengeti National Park. It offers Traditionally-carved, domed dining room, individual rooms with private balconies and a pool overlooking the Serengeti plains. It is located adjacent to Western Corridor where the great wildebeest migration is available at the right time of the year It gives the chance to visit the Olduvai George Museum and be able to see various wildlife at Grumeti River in Serengeti National Park. The distance from Arusha to Serengeti Serena Lodge is approximately 335 kilometers. Guests can also fly to a nearby airstrip such as the Seronera Airstrip and transferred to the lodge.
- Serengeti Sopa Lodge – It is among the Sopa lodges located at the edge of the escarpment which gives the view of the plains of the Serengeti National Park in the South-western where is the home to many wildlife. While at the lodge you can have a view of the beautiful scenery of the park, visitors also have a great chance to interact with animals that cannot be found somewhere else. Serengeti Sopa Lodge accommodates children of all ages with the entertainment facilities and it provides also special meals for children.