Location of Serengeti National Park
Location of Serengeti National Park is one of the main information that a traveler must have when they are ready to visit the park in Tanzania. Serengeti National park is among the famous wildlife viewing destinations whose location is in Tanzania. This national park is located in the northern part of Tanzania.
This destination is known for the wildebeest migration which involves movement of thousands of wildebeest in search of greener pastures and water. Serengeti national park is characterized by open grass plains, woodlands, dotted with acacia trees, kopjes.
The kopjes are rock outcroppings which are made up of granite and gneiss outcroppings which are rocky formations as a result of volcanic activity. Some of the rock kopjes include Moru kopjes, Simba kopjes, Maasai kopjes. These kopjes act as lookout points for lions and other predators where they watch their prey grazing and roaming in the grasslands.
The location of Serengeti national park consists of different sections which include the following;
- The western part of Serengeti national park is a remote part of the national park which is known for the river crossings that take place along the Grumeti River during the wildebeest migration. This part of the national park is characterized by open savannah, woodlands, floodplains, riverine forests, hills and valleys.
- Northern part of Serengeti national park is located close to the Masai Mara national reserve in Kenya and is characterized by a beautiful scenery which consists of kopjes or granite rock outcrops, green rolling hills, open savannah, as well as a variety of attractions which can be seen by tourists such as the Mara river which is a crossing point for wildebeest during the great wildebeest migration and this, can be seen during their safaris in this part of the national park. Other attractions in the northern part of this national park include the Lobo valley. This part of the national park also borders the Ngorongoro conservation area to the east.
- The central part of Serengeti national park is characterized by beautiful scenery which acts as a habitat for the various wildlife species which can be seen in this part of the national park. The central part of this national park is also known as the Seronera area and is among the most visited by tourists during safaris to this destination. This part of the national park is characterized by kopjes which are rocky outcrops, rivers, grasslands, swamps which act as habitat for the wildlife species such as buffalos, impalas, topi, jackals, lions, gazelles, wildebeest, zebras, rhinos among others. The wildebeest migration can also be witnessed in this part of Serengeti national park during the months of April to June and in October and December.
- Southern part of Serengeti national park offers a wide range of activities for tourists during their safaris such as hot air balloon safaris and nature walks. This part of the national park is also a good location to witness the cycle of the wildebeest migration such as the calving season when wildebeest give birth to their young ones. During the calving season, a number of predators such as lions can also be seen around the grazing area for the wildebeest in the months of January and February.
Other important aspects in Serengeti national park include the various attractions such as;
- Wildlife species that can be seen by tourists as they explore the plains of this national park include lions, hyenas, leopards, rhinos, hippos, giraffes, cheetahs, zebras, wildebeest, waterbucks, elephants, hartebeests, gazelles among others. These wildlife species can be seen in their various habitats within the national park as tourists engage in various game viewing activities.
- The wildebeest migration is another attraction that tourists are interested in seeing. This wildebeest migration takes place between Serengeti national park and Masai Mara national reserve in Kenya and it involves thousands of herds of wildebeest moving in search of water and greener pastures. The wildebeest migration takes place in different seasons and months of the year and in Serengeti national park, the wildebeest migration can be seen in the different sections of the national park at different times of the year.
- Maasai people can also be seen by visitors during their safaris to Serengeti national park. The Maasai people are a nomadic group of people who have maintained their culture and are known for their unique way of life and for their dependence on their livestock for survival. Other unique aspects of the Maasai culture include their traditional houses, their traditional wear, and local arts and crafts such as the beaded necklaces, earrings, bracelets made in different patterns and colors which have cultural value attached to them.
- Kopjes can also be seen in Serengeti national park and they are granite rock outcrops which stand out from the rest of the scenery in the national park which consists of open grasslands and wide plains as well as scattered trees. The kopjes in this national park include Moru kopjes, Maasai kopjes, Simba kopjes among others. The kopjes have different roles they play in the national park such as acting as lookout points for predators like lions as they watch their prey grazing and roaming in the open savannah grasslands.
- Retina hippo pool in the central part of Serengeti national park is found at a point where the Orangi river meets the Seronera River. A large number of hippos can be seen at this pool swimming in the water. Tourists visiting this part of the national park can also enjoy a picnic not far from the hippo pool as they enjoy the beautiful scenery around them and watch the wildlife species from a safe distance.
- The grumeti river is found in the western part of Serengeti national park and is also a major crossing point for wildebeest during the wildebeest migration which takes place in this part of the national park during the months of May to July.
- Seronera river valley is found in the central part of Serengeti national park and is among the popular areas of the national park which is visited by tourists due to the large number of wildlife species which can be seen in this area such as lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, hippos, crocodiles, buffalos, impalas, topi, bat-eared foxes among others.
How to get to Serengeti national park
Tourists can access Serengeti national park to see the different attractions and to engage in a variety of activities using the following means;
- By road; Tourists can access Serengeti national park by driving from Arusha.
- By flight or air; Serengeti national park can be accessed by flight to airstrips such as Kogatende airstrip, Seronera airstrip, Kusini airstrip, Lobo airstrip, Fort Ikoma airstrip, Kirawira airstrip among others. both domestic and charter flights are available to this national park.
The best time to visit Serengeti national park is during the months of June to October which is a favorable time for wildlife viewing. Tourists can also visit this national park at any time of the year for wildlife viewing experiences and to engage in many other activities at this destination.
Activities which are carried out in Serengeti national park include
- Game drives in Serengeti national park are among the different ways of exploring this national park to see its different attractions. Game drives take place at different times of the day such as in the morning and in the evening hours as well as full-day game drives. Morning game drives offer high chances of seeing the wildlife species since they are more active at this time of day. During evening game drives, the wildlife species are a little difficult to see since they take shelter during the evening hours and are sometimes hidden. Full day game drives offer chances to see wildlife species and to observe their behavior at different times of the day.
- Nature walks are a unique way of wildlife viewing which involves exploring the open savannah plains of Serengeti national park on foot. Nature walks provide a closer experience with the surroundings around the national park such as plant and tree species. Tourists are accompanied by rangers and guides for security purposes.
- Hot air balloon safari is another activity that tourists can engage in during their safaris which involves exploring the different attractions within the national park from an aerial view.
- Community visits involve interaction between the local community and tourists. During these community visits, tourists can learn more about the ways of life of the Maasai people such as local arts and crafts, traditional dance performances, visiting the traditional houses of the Maasai known as “manyattas”.
Visit Serengeti national park and explore its different attractions and beautiful scenery as you drive through the open plains at this destination.